How To Protect Yourself & Others
The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19. According to the CDC, there are simple everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, which include:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
If you are sick, to keep from spreading respiratory illness to others, you should:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Information from Health Care Organizations and Agencies
- What You Need To Know
- Share Facts About COVID-19
- What To Do If You Are Sick
- Symptoms of Coronavirus 2019
- Stop The Spread Of Germs
- Cover Your Cough
- Preparing For The Spread Of COVID-19
- Celebrating Winter Holidays
This page was adapted from CDC.gov, last accessed June 10, 2020: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html